Friday, June 23, 2006

Ever feel like someone's stealing you from you? Its weird you know, like knowing someone looks up to you that much, when you know you're no different from anyone else.

I've known this girl for like the past 6 years or so. I remember the first time I met her, she was really insecure. About the way she looked, her weight, and anything academically related. I really did feel sorry for her, cause she didn't have very many friends. So I talked to her a whole lot, and we got really close. Well kinda I guess.

Anyway, I never saw it coming. I remember seeing her school bag one day and it was mine. Well the same one. And she would curl her hair so that it'd look like mine. I guess you don't realise it when you're that close to someone how they imitate you. I'd go on shopping trips with her, buy a couple of things, and a few days later I'd see a picture of her wearing the same thing. Like she'd go back the next day and buy it too. And you know seeing as we weren't exactly the same size or what, nothing really suited her. It wasn't so much the same clothes. Hell go buy my entire wardrobe if it suits you. But everyone suits a different style and she didn't quite get that.

The worst part is this girl has this really nice personality. As in if you really got to know her you'd realise what a great person she really was. And no one got to find that out. Because we talked so much, she knew virtually everything about me, right down from the way I say certain words, to my favourite phrases, and even to the gestures I use when I talk. And I still didn't notice it. It was only when my other friends started talking about it that I realised.

Even though flattered that someone would look up to me to that extent, its kinda freaky really. I mean you never really see yourself, until you see you through someone else's eyes. And you know seeing her act like me really made me feel guilty. About the person I was, and the things I did. And the fact that the things I did didn't just affect me, they affected everyone around me as well. I'm not proud of the person I am, but I try and change a little bit of me for the better everyday.

Anyway the reason I'm so longwinded is that I talked to the girl yesterday, for the first time in what must be ages by now. And I'm glad to see she's doing well. I've tried to keep my distance from her, and she's so much the better for it. She has confidence now. And I'm so proud of her for it. She's finally her own person.

No comments: